I don’t know why I am awake. It’s 3:03 a.m. on December 31. I have to wake up in five hours. But here I am, listening to the Chvrches album for the 20th time. I’ve been thinking about writing this blog post titled “100 things to do in 2014” for about five minutes now. I might regret this in 10 or so minutes, and make it 25 or 50 things to do in 2014. Hopefully this list will help you. I don’t know. I mean I think people sometimes read my blog posts, so maybe this will be the time you actually benefit from reading my blog post.
1. Make a drastic change
I’m talking quitting your boring job type of change.
2. Read at least five books
Make it a challenge. Reading isn’t dangerous. It actually benefits you, and it is sometimes fun. Just pick books that interest you.
3. Listening to the entire HAIM album… at least twice
If you haven’t already, you should. You should listen to that album as much as humanly possible. I’m currently going for a record.
4. Re-watch episodes from your favorite childhood show
It could be Winnie the Pooh, Sesame Street or even Hey Arnold. If you thoroughly enjoyed a specific show as a child, watch it again. It will give you refreshing memories.
5. Call someone you haven’t spoken to in a couple years
This is a tough one, especially for someone like me. I’m the type of person who simply forgets about the people who used to be in my life.
6. Go to a service… of any religion
You don’t have to go every week. But it doesn’t hurt to go once in awhile.
7. Read about what is happening in places not named the United States of America
8. Travel to somewhere knew
I know that is pretty cliche, but each year should present a new adventure.
9. Find an unknown band
Not only is it cool to say you heard a musician before they “made it,” it’s also cool stepping away from the norm. Doing something you wouldn’t have done before.
10. Watch Dear Zachary
If you have Netflix, stream it right now. Don’t Google it, or even watch the trailer. Just watch the movie. You can thank me later.
11. See a movie alone
Yes, I have done this before. Accidentally, really–but nonetheless I saw The Perks of Being A Wallflower alone in Buffalo, N.Y. My friends were shopping at the mall, and I decided to see the movie. It was a wonderful movie, but an even better experience. Highly recommended.
12. Watch the Winter Olympics
I don’t care if you live in the warmest place in the world. Watch at least an event or two on NBC in 2014.
13. Try a new sport
Squash, tennis, water polo. Whatever.
14. Try a new hobby
Collect sport cards, take pictures, etc.
15. Write a handwritten letter (s/o to Noah from the Notebook)
I don’t think I’ve ever even written a letter before. Aside from thanking relatives for birthday gifts.
16. Do something that makes you happy each day
Sometimes people go a day without smiling or laughing. That’s insane. Even if you have a shitty job, and you think you have a shitty life–do something that makes you happy.
17. Find a new best friend
Don’t replace your old one(s) though. C’mon, the more the merrier.
18. Maybe one weekend just don’t drink
This one is tough for some college kids. Partying is fun. But one weekend just don’t do it. It’s only one of the 32 weekends during a college year.
19. Learn how to snowboard or surf (depending on where you live)
If you live near a mountain, learn how to board or ski. If you live near an ocean, learn how to surf. If you live near both? Do both.
20. Take a family vacation to somewhere you have never been
The Jersey Shore will still be there in 2015!
21. Put down the phone when you’re talking/hanging with family and friends
Whatever on the phone can wait.
22. Embrace each emotion. Don’t bury it deep down
23. Embrace conflict!
If someone pisses you off, tell them.
24. Meet random people
My life changed because I played laser tag with Ron. I met Ron that day, and he will be the president one day, so maybe it will benefit me in the future.
25. Watch a movie from each year in the 2000s
26. Go sledding
27. Talk to your family as much as possible
I’m guilty of not doing this. I have my own life now, but I’m still apart of my family… no matter what I may or may not think. They are the most important people in my life.
28. Dress the way YOU want to dress
I will wear whatever color combination I can find.
29. Go to Wawa
Alright, this is for the countless number of people who I have met at school who have no clue what a Wawa is.
30. If you haven’t already (and you are above the age of 20) get your license
Maybe this is a plea to myself to actually make an effort to obtain a license.
31. Randomly pay for someone’s meal or bowling game
I don’t know why, but I felt compelled to put this on the list.
32. Drink a beer with a celebrity
I wish I could pick the celebrity I’m gonna drink with because hands down it would be Natalie Portman. Or maybe Flipper Anderson.
33. Spend too much money for a good time
Maybe overspend for Eagles’ playoff tickets!
34. If you have ever talked badly about a person you barely know–well get to know that person
35. Order seven loaded grillers at Taco Bell
It’s been done before, and it’ll be done again. #trippy
36. Make Moonshine
37. Smoke a cigar with Doctor Finnegan
38. Actually shoot for straight As
Maybe you do really well in school. I know some people do not. Be proud of your grades.
39. That thing you have complained about the most in 2013… yeah, don’t complain about that in 2014
It could be about a girl, or maybe you were cut from your 6th grade volleyball team. Let go of the past.
40. Let go of the past
Sure, the past has impacted your life, and it will continue to do so. But don’t let the past define who you are today. 2014 is a brand new year.
41. Make a comic book
Base it off Dan Adrat’s life.
42. Embrace a fear
I’m scared of dogs sometimes, and it’s all because of that demon dog Boomer.
43. Buy your significant other flowers one random day
Not an anniversary, or a birthday. Maybe a Wednesday in March.
44. Build a friendship with a professor
45. Get rid of one of your social media apps
I’m considering Facebook. But damn, I have too much family on that thing.
46. Without being annoying, try to get your favorite celeb to retweet, favorite or reply to your tweet
Admit it, you would be unbelievably happy if a favorite celeb of yours did one of the three aforementioned? Royce White responded to my tweet earlier this year. It’s one of my favorite moments of 2013. So, yeah just don’t be annoying.
47. Go to a sporting event in a stadium you’ve never been to before
48. Buy a pet if you have never had one
Fish do count!
49. Support a good cause!
50. Sell one of your favorite things on eBay
51. It’s OK to dream about Miley Cyrus…
I know I do
52. Know it will be OK if things don’t go your way
53. Watch at least one Boy Meets World episode a month
54. Play Mario Party 2 on N64
Trippy townhouse always welcomes guests
55. Play Edward 40hands
Unless you’re 12 or something, then you probably shouldn’t. And if you do, don’t blame me.
It is now 3:53 a.m., and I have listend to the Chvrches album twice. You are more than half way through my 100 things to do in 2014. This is totally random. All of this is improv, and there is definitely no specific order of importance. Well, here goes the next 45.
56. Be patient to cashiers
Ever think it might be their first day or week on the job? Even if it isn’t, cashiers are just trying to get bread.
57. Keep your room tidy
Babes love clean rooms, and so do mothers.
58. Watch a movie in black and white
59. Grow out your hair
If you have any.
60. Mix Pepsi and milk
It actually tastes good.
61. Go one straight month without drink soda
I refuse to call soda the ‘p’ word. Soda isn’t good for you.
62. Don’t be afraid to change your degree
63. Do not let someone belittle you
You matter. Even if you don’t think you do.
64. Work efficiently
65. Make a mistake then own up to it
66. Good things don’t always happen to good people… accept that
67. Become internet famous
I can’t help you here. Use your own imagination.
68. Pick up an instrument
Squidward and I might have to carpool to clarinet practices
69. Draw a self portrait
70. Tell a random stranger she looks beautiful
I never said you couldn’t lie
71. Drink a new beer you have never tried before
72. Feel free to eat ice cream as a main meal at least a half dozen times
Ice cream over everything. Mint chocolate chip and chocolate chip cookie dough
73. Watch a Polar Bear documentary
Polar Bears might go extinct.
74. Learn how to dive
Yeah, I don’t know how to swim, either.
75. Dress up as Stan Lee for Halloween
76. If you have a problem with yourself, do something about it
77. See a band you never heard before
78. Drink as many Kool Aid Jammers as possible
They taste good.
79. Eat CT Crunch for breakfast most days
Name a cereal better than CT Crunch? Yeah, you can’t. It’s basically the Babe Ruth of cereal.
80. Work on a farm
81. Go on a retreat
82. Try to dunk a basketball
Even if it is on a 8.5 net.
83. Eat Dunkaroos and Fruit by the Foots whenever possible
Best two snacks ever. It isn’t debatable. It’s the Tom Brady-Randy Moss duo of snacks.
84. Don’t let people tell you how to live your life
Even me! This list are suggestions. Maybe it’s only my list, and I’m only letting you all glance at it for fun.
85. Listen to any Bob Dylan album
Robert Zimmerman is Minnesota.
86. Talk in an accent
I tried to speak German and alien.
87. Pray for those who left us before 2013.
88. Ride a bike for miles and miles
89. Go a day without TV
Grey’s can wait a day. Netflix counts as TV
90. Go a weekend without the internet
91. Go a week without a phone
92. Make each day count
S/o to Jack Dawson.
93. Spend time with your grandparents
If you’re lucky enough to have some.
94. The most important thing in your life should be the relationships you have with family and friends
95. Find your old Game Boy and beat Super Mario
96. Go out of your way to help someone
97. No matter how great 2013 was: make 2014 the best year of your life
98. Dine and Dash
I don’t know. I probably won’t do this, but it’s a great concept.
99. Try as many new foods as possible
100. Find your passion
If you haven’t already.
Enjoy 2014. I will be posting much more on the blog during this year.
I write about the Eagles, 76ers, movies, music and frankly whatever the hell I feel like.